Saturday, May 8, 2021

A Last and Some Firsts

 On Monday Char had her last Girl Scout meeting. She's been a good sport about Zooming with her troop, but the GSs are just a little too "crafty" for her tastes. She will go to Girl Scout camp this summer, and I think she'll join the Scouts next year. (She's wearing her blue light glasses for practice.)

Wednesday was Char's first day of school wearing prescription glasses. She went with a Harry Potter look when she picked out the frames. No surprise there.

"Everything looks so clear! I can see the board and the clock now!"

Later we went back to Flame to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Daphne had their mango shrimp tacos.


I had the birria tacos again.


This was Char's first time at Blaze, and she loved their fries and the cheese quesadilla, "This place is so good! I could bike down here with my friends!" Actually, she could. 


On Thursday night Daphne realized a dream she's had for over ten years - for the first time she got to sit in the audience at a band concert as a parent.


Charlotte doesn't care for dresses, but she did dress up. She's worn the Harry Potter tie before, but this was her first time in khaki pants.


She reminded me of Diane Keaton in Annie Hall. 


I was glad we got there early, there really weren't many seats to choose from. Each student received only two tickets for family members. 


She's in the back with the other percussionists. 


I'm not going to do this at every band concert, but since this was the first, I recorded her band's first warm-up.


Here's the first round of applause. 👏 


And here is one song all the way through.


During the drive to the concert, Char was lifting her glasses from her nose to her forehead and back again to see the improvement in her vision. All of the sudden she froze, and her face squeezed into a grimace of terror. "Oh no!" she cried, "I'll be able to see the audience!"

After the concert, we asked Char if her glasses made it easier to see the music, "No. But I could see my teacher for the first time." 

Daphne and I just looked at each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment