Monday, April 12, 2021

They're Back!

I remember walking down the aisle of a Dahl's grocery store and hearing a man with a southern accent exclaim, "You gotta be kiddin' me! They're handing out beer samples! If you drink liquor in a grocery store back home, you get arrested!"

He was standing next to a rolling cart while an employee handed him a small cup half-filled with a craft brew. He looked ecstatic, and he giggled when he accepted the cup. That made me laugh along with him. 

Shopping for groceries can be a chore, and snacking on free chips or popcorn while you're pushing a cart makes the job easier. It is especially fun to round a corner and be suprised by a sampler of your favorite foods. Steak-on-a-toothpick always makes my day.

Grocery store samples bring joy. It's a simple joy, but a joy nonetheless. 

I wasn't surprised  when Covid-19 had put all of the sample carts into storage. The last thing I wanted to do last spring was take off my mask in public and put something in my mouth that had been sitting out in the open. 

Spring 2021 is different. Last Friday Daphne asked Charlotte and me, "Guess what I saw at Hy-Vee today?" She didn't wait for an answer, "Samples! They brought samples back!"

"Seriously? What did you have?" I asked.

"Ice cream!" Daphne smiled at the memory. She wore the same expression as that guy with the accent.

On Saturday I got to try some samples for myself.

Let's see, what do we have here. Hmmm.... we have a sandwich cookie, guacamole and a chip, and half of a chocolate chip cookie. Those are some of my favorite flavors. I better try all of them!


Later I spotted this guy at the back of the store. What's he doing with that indoor grill?

Let's zoom in:

He's making bratwurst-in-a-cup samples? YES, PLEASE! I hustled over and grabbed a cup. I'm pretty sure I giggled as I picked it up. 

We're inching our way back to normal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment