Friday, May 10, 2019

"That's so nerdy... but it's also cool."

I was a  junior in high school when the original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) launched in 1986. My family didn't buy one, but five years later I was able to borrow a NES from a college buddy.

Although it was already considered an old game, I was determined to get through all eight worlds in Super Mario Bros. I played SMB in my dorm room, and I brought the NES with me if I went home for  the weekend.

I have this picture from 1991 on my basement fridge.


Here are the facts:

• I was a senior at Wayne State College.

• I was 21 years old and playing video games in my parents' basement.

• When I finally beat the game, I asked my mom take a picture of my victory.

• I still have the photo.

A friend and I were reminiscing about old video games this week. He was talking about beating Toejam and Earl on the Sega Genesis, and I mentioned this picture. He said, "That's so nerdy... but it's also cool. You should put that on your blog."

I'm not so sure about the cool part, but it's a fun memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment