Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Char's First Sleepover: Parent Edition

Char's night at Camp Sacajawea was a success for her, but what about her parents? How did we do?

We wanted to make sure Charlotte had a good meal before we got to the campgrounds, so we stopped at the Great Harvest Bread Co. in Ames. The sky was overcast and the high was in the lower 40s. A bowl of chili and a slab of cornbread made for a perfect fall lunch. The owner stopped by our table with some large, sample slices of cinnamon roll. Dipping the roll into the chili brought back memories of being a teenager. This wouldn't be the only time.

To my surprise, I began to get sick to my stomach as we drove towards the campgrounds near Boone. I knew my stomach wasn't protesting lunch. So, what was going on? What was I nervous about?

For Char, the drop off went fine. Once she found her friends, she barely took time to say goodbye to us. She just waved and turned away, but then one of the girls pushed her towards Daphne, "Charlotte, you gotta give your mom a hug. Sheesssh!" I got a brief hug, too. 

Then a funny thing happened on the way back to our car. I teared up. It wasn't a full-on cry, but I did have to wipe away tears and then blow my nose. I didn't see that reaction coming, and I made sure Char didn't see it, either.

When I left home for my freshman year of college, my dad went golfing before my vehicle was packed. I was carrying a stereo speaker to the van when he said, "Well, you take care of yourself, bud," and he took off on our old moped.

I told Mom I thought that was weird. She put a hand on my shoulder and confided, "I don't think he wanted you to see him cry."

The thought of my Dad crying seemed so out of character for him, but now I completely understand. The fact that he was on a moped, a vehicle for one, makes that memory even more sad.

The drive from Boone to Urbandale took us past many farms and through a couple of small towns. I couldn't help thinking about growing up in Rock Valley. I tried to shake off the memories when we got to Urbandale.

For our date, we went to see A Star is Born at Flix. It was a 2:30 show, and I didn't think we'd get a "Can I come home now?" call from Charlotte that early in the day. Daphne kept checking her phone for messages, though.

A Star is Born is very well made, but watching a guy spiral out of control wasn't something I was in the mood to watch, especially since I had been remembering my dad. I kept thinking, I don't want to see this again. I left for the bathroom just to take a break from the film. I was relieved to leave the warm Flix theater for the cold air in the parking lot when the movie was over.

Despite the cold and the dark, Daphne wanted to go on a walk when we got home. "I just don't know what else to do," she explained. We walked, talked, and wondered how things were going for Charlotte. 

Our dinner was meat, cheese, and chips at the table. We watched YouTube videos on my laptop while we ate. I said, "Char would be so jealous," and Daphne laughed in agreement. 

Daphne later struggled to find something to watch on Netflix, "The choices can be overwhelming." I walked from the garage to the basement and back again more than a few times, but eventually we found ways to settle down. Being a twosome at home felt strange, but we made it work. Having Charlotte is the best thing we have ever done, but parenting her is not the only thing we do.

We will all be more confident in our survival skills when Charlotte has another sleepover. The night will be easier, but not a thing I will be looking forward to.

I am also confident that when Char leaves for college, I will be crying like a rain shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment