Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Same Stuff, Different Year

Last year we spent the first Saturday in May at the first Downtown Farmers' Market. We flew our kite at Kites on the Green in Johnston, and then Charlotte and Daphne went to Pella for the Tulip Festival.   I stayed home to work on the Criterium '75 pinball machine.

This year we all did the exact same things. 

Obligatory crowded crowd shot of the Market. I'd have to say this was one of the busiest markets I have been to downtown. 


We call this Ding! We toast things like donuts, cookies, and tarts from Tami's Tarts. If we have two of it, it usually gets Dinged.


I have probably taken 50 pictures of Charlotte posing with poffertjes. Make that 51. 


For awhile there wasn't much wind for the Kites on the Green event.  A representative noticed Charlotte trying to get her kite off the ground. He said, "I can't give you wind, but I can give you a t-shirt!" In order to claim it, she had to shoot the shirt out of his cannon. That was cool.


Exciting kite action!




I couldn't get a picture that effectively shows how many kites there were. This is one of those "you had to be there" things.


Flying kites is tough work. Looks like it is time to reel it in.


There were professional kites there, too.


Kites on the Green is located behind the Johnston Public Library. We went inside the library, and I was standing next to a window watching what I thought was a kite with four parts. Then the four parts went in opposite directions, and I realized that I was watching four professionals flying four separate kites.

The video is kind of weird because there is no sound, and I filmed the kites through the window, but you can see how cool this is. I'm not much of a kite guy, but I can appreciate this. If I was outside, I would have clapped.


As I said, the girls went to the Tulip Festival. Daphne took this picture last year.


One year later...


Dang, she looks so grown up. While Daphne and Charlotte were enjoying the flowers. I was in the basement with my soldering iron and the Criterium 75 pinball machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment