Monday, October 30, 2017

Those Bald What?

I spotted this LP while flipping through a box of records at Goodwill. 


I didn't think much of Shepard of the Hills; I'm not into classic country music. I kept working my way through the box, but then I stopped myself. Did I see what I thought I saw? Were those guys wearing hoods?

I flipped back to "The Ballad of Jim Lane" and sure enough, those guys are wearing hoods.


What is going on here? Why are they armed with pistols and torches? 

The back of the album is just a group shot of the band. Not much help here. But apparently two of the band members play the double barrel shotgun. 


I showed the album cover to other people, and most reacted like Daphne did; she grimaced and said, "Gross."

It was then quite a surprise when my friend Tim looked at the cover, gravely shook his head and said, "Yea... look at those Bald Knobbers." 


"What did you say?"

Tim explained that he has family in southern Missouri, and down there they know all about the Bald Knobbers. He probably could have told me more, but the bell was about to ring, and we both had class.

So, I did what you would do. I googled "Bald Knobbers". Turns out that Missouri, like a lot of places, was pretty unlawful after the Civil War, and a group of men who were tired of seeing what they thought were injustices decided to fight back. This first group of vigilantes met at Bald Knob Hill, and there their name was born. 

I think they initially thought of themselves as the "good guys" (why the masks, then?), but power corrupts, and soon their violence was probably on par with the "bad guys'" deeds. You can buy books on the subject on Amazon.

After cleaning the LP, I listened to "The Ballad of Jim Lane". The term Bald Knobber is mentioned once, but it is sung so quickly I wouldn't have heard it if I wasn't listening for it. Spoiler alert! Jim is killed by the Bald Knobbers after he announces that he's leaving their group.

Actually, the album cover is pretty tame compared to actual pictures of Bald Knobbers. 


"Depiction of Bald Knobbers in the 1919 film The Shepherd of the Hills" (wikipedia).


Home Sweet Home...


I have no idea if these two are Bald Knobbers, but since it is Halloween, I thought I'd include this picture. Look at that kid's expression. 


Over all, I'd say the Bald Knobbers were a scary and intimidating group. Well, except for this guy on the album cover. He looks like a Teletubbie.


I have lived in the Midwest for my whole life, and I've never heard of the Bald Knobbers until last week. This world is so big, and I only know a tiny bit about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment