Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Scenes from Seattle (part 6)

Sunday was a transition day. We were leaving Seattle to spend an afternoon on Bainbridge Island and a night at Port Townsend. To do that, we had to travel by ferry.

He's the view from the passenger deck.


It was beautiful day, and I really enjoyed our trip on the ferry. 


On a side note, our rental apartment in Seattle had underground parking, and that required us to rent a compact car. I was underwhelmed when I first saw our Chevy Sonic sedan. I didn't even take a picture of it. 


The car was so small, but in the end, the Sonic's small stature was its biggest strength. The trunk easily held our luggage, and the car was zippy enough in town. The car's size made it really easy to parallel park (something that makes me cringe), and maneuvering the Sonic out of the tight spaces of the ferry's belly was a snap. The car also made good gas mileage. We only filled the tank once, and that was right before we returned it.

I'm not ready to trade the RAV4 in for a Smart car, but renting a compact car for vacation has it advantages.

The only drawback wasn't the car's fault. Charlotte really enjoys listening to books on Cd, and that makes traveling with a six-year-old so much easier. We thought we were so smart to bring a few audio books with us, but new cars don't have Cd players! That hadn't occurred to either of us. Sigh. I am so far behind the times. I still think bluetooth is something you get after drinking juice or when your teeth get sad.

 Here's how Bainbridge Island looks like as you approach it on the ferry.


And now, the food memories:

Our first stop on the island was to eat a crepe.




Lunch was pizza.


Dinner at Port Townsend included mussels,


a French dip with onion rings,


and fish and chips.


I'll write more about Port Townsend next time... it's one of my favorite stories from the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment