Saturday, August 5, 2017

Scenes from Seattle (part 4)

Daphne started Friday with a cup of joe from Starbucks. FYI, Seattle Starbucks tastes just like Des Moines Starbucks.


Speaking of similarities, there were two statues in Seattle that looked pretty familiar. 


We stopped at Charlotte's favorite park to eat our breakfast donuts. 


On the way to the Pacific Science Center, Charlotte spotted her name. That's always fun.


When we turned the corner, the day went south. A day camp/ school group had also chosen to visit the Pacific Science Center, and they had brought ten full school buses with them. That put about 700 kids in front of us in line. Char was crushed. It would take forever to get into the science center, and when we did get in, the place would be packed. We explained to Char why it would be better to come back tomorrow, but Char was inconsolable. We were standing in a sea of children, and the tears silently flowed. 

We tried to distract her by going to the Museum  of Pop Culture. 


She kinda liked seeing Sirius Black's cloak.


 Posing with mom as royalty was better.


And she liked seeing the outfits from The Princess Bride.


Things changed when we entered the Jim Henson exhibit. Pretending to be a Muppet is cool.


But making a Muppet is even cooler.



Coolest of all was learning to play guitar in the Sound Lab's interactive exhibits. Real instruments were outfitted with lights, and computer screens gave you instructions to play along with. I was so into the rhythm guitar exhibit that I forgot where I was. After twenty minutes I looked up and thought, "Wait. Don't I have a family? Where are they?" Luckily, they were right across from me.


I thought it was neat to see Michael Jackson's outfit from the "Thriller" music video.


Speaking of music, we went shopping in the afternoon, and I spotted a record store with a pinball theme. It was a match made in heaven!



I didn't want to buy any records on this trip because I didn't want to worry about how to safely get them home, so I only shopped for Cd's. I visited two record shops in Seattle, and I bought The Replacements' Let It Bea Sub Pop anniversary collection, and Nirvana's Bleach. Being a Nirvana fan in Seattle, I felt obligated to buy something related to the band. 


We had lunch in a food court. Daphne and I shared a beef and mushroom pot pie and some tater tot poutine. Char had Subway... sigh.


The afternoon snack was fish and chips at the 100 Pound Clam. Char had a few of the chips that didn't have any obvious seasoning... sigh.


Dinner was at Taco Chukis. 



We aren't world travelers by any measure, but Daph and I have discovered that if a Mexican restaurant is within a short walking distance from where you are staying, then it will be good. We haven't been disappointed yet, and Taco Chukis didn't break our streak. We ordered their signature tacos with adobada pork, cheese, guacamole, and grilled pineapple. They rocked! Char had a cheese quesadilla... eh, I can't blame her for that. The quesadilla was good, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment