Monday, September 12, 2016

Sometimes It Takes Time

I get a big kick out of repurposing stuff. I'm not a hoarder, but I'll hang onto an item that I think it is cool even if I don't know how I'll use it.

For instance, I went on a trip to Las Vegas with my parents in 1992, and one night we had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. Those are nice Michael Jackson dolls.


(This kid doesn't know it yet, but in less than a month he'll be hired to teach at Urbandale High School. He's never even heard of Urbandale.)

I brought back a Hard Rock beer bottle as a souvenir.


I didn't know what to do with this bottle, and it has been taking up shelf space ever since. An idea finally hit me last week. I ran the bottle through dishwasher cycle, filled it with extra virgin olive oil, and then topped it off with a generic spout. I don't know if it was worth the effort to keep this bottle for 24 years, but I think my new oil dispenser looks sweet. I use EVOO a lot when I grill.


Here's another example. I found these vintage McDonald's cup holders at a garage sale for ten cents. They reminded me of my childhood, and I thought I could use them in my VW Bug.


These were really handy in the 70's and 80's when cars didn't have many cupholders. But I was wrong; the VW's doors aren't wide enough for these holders. The drink would splash all over.


Using a holder like this in my Toyota is unnecessary. The interior already has eight cup holders. Even Char's booster seat has a place for a bottle of Gatorade. Plus, they look awkward in the car.


So, did I throw these holders into the recycling bin? No, but three years had to pass before I could find a use for them.

I was testing my pinball project in the garage last night, and I didn't have a handy place for my water bottle. I briefly considered attaching a bicycle bottle cage to the cabinet, but then I spotted the Mickey Dee's cup holders. All I had to do was cut off some of the plastic and drill a hole.



That's totally worth a dime. I'm glad I didn't toss 'em out.

No comments:

Post a Comment