Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Fall Guy

When I was a kid I thought of the summer months as one huge weekend. June had all the freedom of a Friday night. As the sun lazily dipped into the horizon, you'd be too busy chasing lightning bugs across the yard to even think about the confines of school.

July was a carefree Saturday afternoon. July smelled of chlorine and tasted like sweet corn. School was only a rumor, not a fact to be believed.  

August was like watching TV on a Sunday night. Every commercial celebrated the return of school, and your mom kept telling you that bedtime was going to be early. Each reminder made you wince like you do when you see the needle in the doctor's office...

I still like the long weekend analogy, but I don't dread the return of school like I did when I was young. My first day of school was in 1974, and I've gone back to school 41 times since then. I pretty much know what to expect, but if it wasn't for the Iowa State Fair, I would still list August as my least favorite month. 

Thank goodness the calendar turned a page, and it is September. Fall will be here soon. I look forward to the change in temperature and color. I like wearing jackets in the morning, and it's kind of exciting to turn on my car's heater for the first time in months. It is football season, and there is a smell in the air on a Friday night before a game that's hard to explain. I think it is a mix of cut grass, cool air, and anticipation. 

Also, October follows September, and guess who is already thinking about Halloween?


No comments:

Post a Comment