Thursday, September 1, 2016

Iowa State Fair '16: Super STEM Sunday

Charlotte turned 6 years old on the 18th, so when we went to the last day of the fair, it was the first time we had to pay her admission.


Admission is half price on "Super Sunday," so she only cost us three dollars, but still. It's a sign that things are just going uphill from here. No time to ponder that though, we still had a day at the fair to enjoy.

I don't know how long my pinball hobby will hold my complete interest. I've got a project machine in the garage, but its about 90% complete. Soon I'm going to need something else to work on. The fair had a motorcycle show going on, and I spotted this vintage Kawasaki floating around in a sea of Harley Davidson customs. It reminded me that I've wanted a small, 60s era motorcycle since high school, so maybe I'll try to find a bike from this era for a project.


Speaking of projects, Daphne entered some baking items at the fair. Last year she earned a second place ribbon. We stopped by the Food Center to see if any of her entries made it to the final display case.

Hey! Her cookie made it in the ice cream sandwich contest.



White ribbon!


 How did her 4-layer S'more bars do?


Well, you can't do much better than that.


Imagine Daphne yelling, "Yea!", jumping up and down three times, and clapping her hands at the same time. It was so fun to watch her light up like that. Charlotte was almost as excited as her mom. 

I didn't jump up and down, but I was pretty happy with the loose meat sandwich that I ate a few minutes later. 


We tried the Pride of Iowa Wrap because Kim recommended it. "It boasts a jalapeno cheddar tortilla with pork shoulder, sweet corn salsa, and hickory smoked bacon bits. Layered with cheddar jack cheese, fresh avocado relish, chipotle aioli and crispy tortilla bites for added texture."- ISF website.

There's a lot going on in there, but's it's all good.


Time to pose with the giants pumpkins!



I've yet to have a drink at the Iowa Beer Craft tent. That's because nothing beats an ice cold glass of milk from the Dairy Barn on a hot fair day. Somehow I never get to drink the whole thing, though.


Cotton Candy + Char = A Five-Minute Sugar Rush. She jumps around yelling, "Cot-ton Can-dee" about 100 times in a row in some weird made up accent. Strangers notice... It makes us laugh.


There was also some STEM activities for the kids to watch.  I couldn't hear the presenters as well as I would have liked, but I think this is what happens when you play with liquid nitrogen and gummy bears. Look how thick the smoke gets.


They used compressed air to shoot a ping pong ball through a pop can.


More fun with liquid nitrogen.




Right before the guy in last video got covered in all that stuff, he walked by me, slapped my chest with that back of his hand and said, "That's a sweet shirt." That was cool.

This is probably my favorite thrift store tee to wear to the fair.


It kept me safe on the zip line last year.


Too bad I have to put it away until next August...

No comments:

Post a Comment