Thursday, April 21, 2016

One More Can't Hurt

This is how I found my newest hobby.

1) I recently read the UHS library's latest issue of Hot Rod.


2) I noticed this ad in the back of the publication.


3) I thought, "Dang, that's pretty cool." I love it when people combine dissimilar materials in creative ways. I went to the  Bohemian Guitars website to check out their stuff.



  4) While reading the "Shop" menu options, I spotted this word.



That word gets me into so much trouble.

  5) The "clearance" option brought me to the online store's "scratch and dent" department - my favorite department in any store.



  6) I thought, Look how cool that ukulele is. And check out the sale price. If I bought the clearance model I'd be saving 37%! - I'm only good at math when I want to talk myself into buying something.



Before you ask, the answer is, "No." I have no idea how to play the ukulele. So, I obviously don't need one. Not at all. Not even a little bit. But that fact has no bearing on this impulse buy decision.

Did I buy one?

  7) Yup.


  8) This was on the front step 11 days later.



  9) !




10) Since I now owned an electric ukulele, I stopped by the Salvation Army the next day and bought this little 10 watt guitar amp for $25. I had no way to test if the amp actually worked, but I had a hunch that it would be fine. It was.



11) The amp looks pretty good sitting on Daphne's childhood school chair. It's like I was meant to buy this amp. (This is how I reassure myself that my impulse buy decisions are good ones.)



12) Now I have to teach myself how to play the ukulele. There are all kinds of websites and youtube videos dedicated to beginning level students, so I should find someone I can click with. I also checked out this DVD from the Urbandale Public Library this afternoon.


13) I tried playing a few chords last night, but I couldn't press the strings very well. I guess I have weak fingers. That's okay. They'll get stronger with use. Thank goodness I have these Don Ho glasses to hold a refreshing beverage after a tough finger workout.



14) Do I have to learn to play this ukulele? No. I could just put in on a bookshelf in the basement and it will look cool. But I want to learn so I can play and sing the theme song for Peg + Cat. I think Charlotte would be pretty impressed.

"Everything a man does in his life he does in some ways to impress a girl, and she was the girl I wanted to impress." 
Author Justin Cronin discussing his 9-year-old daughter and his book The Passage.

Peg + Cat link

Don Ho link

No comments:

Post a Comment