Wednesday, October 22, 2014

How 'bout Them Apples? Center Grove Orchard Revisited

As I mentioned in my last post, we took a trip to the Center Grove Orchard last Saturday morning. It was a bit cold, but that just thinned the crowd, slightly. The place sure is popular.

This will be our third year to visit this farm, and you can see how much Char has grown from the first time we were here.

2012:


2014:


2012:


2014:


2012 (name this movie):


2014:


It's strange, but looking at these pictures makes my heart hurt a little. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because my little two-year-old girl is gone forever. 

Oh man, just typing that makes me tear up. But that makes no sense. Four-year-old Charlotte is funnier, more flexible, and more independent than the terrible two version of herself. So what's with the emotions? I can't explain it. Parenting does something to your head, I guess.

Oh well, on with the photo essay.


The corn pool is a neat idea. It's a large oval of hay bales filled with about two feet of corn kernels. The corn itself is surprisingly cold, and I bet it would feel refreshing on a warmer day. 


The sign says you can't bury people, but it doesn't say you can't cover 'em up a bit.


K'pow!


Of course you're gonna get kernels down your pants when you play in the corn pool, but the weird thing was that every time we thought Char's clothes were corn free, we'd find more. By the end of the evening Daphne thought Charlotte had smuggled home about 30 kernels of corn. I wonder how much lower the level of the corn pool is at the end of the season.

Also, It's all fun and games until you put your hand on someone's used Band-Aid. Gross.


We had lunch at the Feed Bunk. I appreciate that they use charcoal to prepare the hamburgers, but the real star of the show is the applesauce. That may seem silly, but wow, that stuff is so good. It's too bad they don't sell it in the orchard's store.


The orchard has live entertainment on the weekends, but when we were there the stage was empty. That is until Char climbed up to do some ballet moves for us. She's been running around on her tiptoes since she could walk, so this isn't a stretch for her.


The orchard keeps on growing, no pun intend. This year they added a second jumping pillow, one pillow for children under 52 inches tall, and the other for everybody else. On the morning we were there a slew of college sorority girls were having a social function, and a bunch of them were jumping on the big kid pillow, but I didn't take a picture of that. Sorry, Uncle Pervie.

Instead, here's Char catching some air.


And just like at the fair, Char stuck her head in stuff.



Here's Char and I on Daphne's favorite orchard attraction, the hayrack ride.


I keep reminding myself that grey hair is better than no hair. I suppose I could dye it, but I spotted one of the sports guys from channel 8 at the orchard, and even a colorblind guy like me could see he was sporting a dye job. You can't tell when he's on TV, though.

Char got an apple smoothie before we left.


Time to write the Center Grove Orchard a fan letter and see if they'll tell me how they make that applesauce. 

Link to 2012

48 hours later:


And you thought I was kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment