Monday, October 6, 2014

Bug Update: Running Out of Gas (finally!)

Although I purchased my '62 Beetle in the early 90's, the car was in my dad's name (for insurance reasons back when I was 20) until he signed the title over to me in 2006. My memory of the car was so much cleaner and nicer than the reality, and during the five hour drive from Sioux Falls to Des Moines the Bug died at a Missouri Valley gas station. We had to use Daphne's Saturn to push start it. By the time the Bug was in my garage, I was too intimidated by the amount of repair the car needed to start working on it.

The Bug sat untouched in our garage for six years, and the last thing on my mind was the gas in the tank. When I started researching repair work that I could do myself, I discovered that the quarter tank of aged gas wasn't going to do my motor any good, but I didn't know what to do about it. Once I was able to get the car to start, I limped it to the gas station and filled the tank with as much fresh gas as I could. I hoped mixing the new gas with the old would lessen the effects of running ancient gasoline. I also tossed in some STA-BIL gas treatment for good measure.

Last year all extracurricular activities were put on hold, but this fall I've got my groove back. I've had "Run Gas out of Bug" on my garage "to do" list for two hand a half years, and I've almost accomplished my goal. A fuel line break helped me a little.

You'd think it would be easy to just hop in the car and cruise for a couple of hours, but it's hard to find the time. The Bug doesn't have seat belts, yet (cars manufactured before 1966 are exempt in Iowa), and so I don't let anyone else drive it or ride along with me.

If the weather's good, I'll drive for 15 minutes after school before Char and Daphne get home. I can't let Charlotte see me driving the Bug because she gets really upset that she can't come.

Almost there... never before have I cursed getting good gas mileage.


Hopefully the eight-year-old gas is already gone, and all I'm using is gas that is two years old... poor car. Once I fill the tank with new fuel I'm going to treat the Bug to new spark plugs. I wonder how the motor will sound then.

1 comment:

  1. Bug is a great car, but it seems that owning it requires so much dedication and effort. The condition of your car is quite delicate, especially since its fuel tank is affected. It’s good that you are exhausting all efforts to repair it on your own, but it’s also advisable to seek for professional car repair services when it gets tougher for you. In any way, thanks for sharing that, Brent! I do hope that both you and Bug are faring great. Take care!

    Abraham Yates @ Apache Oil Company

    ReplyDelete