Friday, July 11, 2014

Taking the High (Trestle) Road

RAGBRIA runs through my Grandmother's town this year, and we'd thought it would be neat to ride the day between Forest City and Mason City. The route is 38.5 miles long and relatively flat. But we have to get a few miles under our bike tires before we even think about that.

This week we took two trips out to the High Trestle Trail Bridge. We started our ride in Slater and rode twelve miles to the High Trestle Bridge and then took the same trail back. It's a test to see how well Charlotte can ride in her "little blue car".


Here's a view of the bridge from the west side. What a cool architectural design.


Here's a goofy Char enjoying that view. Little did we know what was going to come in about 30 minutes.



Here's two more views of the bridge from two opposite directions. Light makes such a difference in a photograph. About one minute separates when the shots were taken, and I did my best to follow the rule of thirds.



On the first ride we stopped in Madrid for lunch at Saddles BBQ Bistro. Unfortunately, Charlotte got sick. When she got out of her blue car she threw up, and we suspected she had gotten too hot during the ride. We were hoping the air conditioning in the restaurant would help, but it didn't. She threw up again while we were waiting for our food to arrive, and all she could do was lay down in the booth with a wet napkin on her forehead.

I gulped down my food and sped off on my bike to get the car in Slater. While my out of shape legs were pumping as fast as they could, Char threw up two more times in the booth and spent some time in Saddle's restroom letting her mom clean her up. I pulled up to the restaurant 35 minutes later, and I packed up the bikes while Daphne got Char in the car. Poor thing, Char fell asleep in the car with a "vomit cup" around her mouth and chin.

Charlotte was mostly back to normal after we got her home, cleaned her up in the tub, and let her sleep for three hours.

The gal who was working at Saddles was so nice to my girls, she was so understanding about having a sick child, and I can't praise her enough. I also can't wait to stop by there and eat again, but I'll eat slower this time. The smoke sauce was great on my pulled pork, and Charlotte loved the grilled cheese sandwich the next day - a three cheese sandwich off the kid's menu is pretty awesome!

The next morning we tried the same bike ride. Charlotte kept agreeing that she really did have fun before she got sick, and she was willing to try again. This time we started out about an hour earlier, we packed more snacks, and we took more breaks. Success!

The next time I'm on the High Trestle Bridge, or eating BBQ at Saddles, this is what I'm thinking:

No comments:

Post a Comment