Monday, July 21, 2014

Adventureland '14: Third Time's A Charm

Charlotte changes every year, as you'd expect. Two years ago she loved the rides at Adventureland, but she didn't know how to smile for the camera - Char would only make a grimace. Last year she could smile, but she was too intimidated by the rides. We'd wait in line until we were next to get on, and then she'd flee in terror.

Who knows what this year's trip would bring? On Sunday it was time to find out.


First up was the Infant Ocean. And that was fun.


Charlotte doesn't smile for the camera as much as she used to. She wants to make a goofy face that will make her laugh when she sees the picture. That doesn't mean I can't photograph a happy face, I just have to catch it in the act.

Getting ready to cruise a Hampton Car.


Joining the Convoy.


The bumper cars on the Frantic Freeway were such a hit with Charlotte we had to run around and get right back in line when our time was over. Here's a lucky, action shot of Char while she and Mom are trying to crash into my car.


I spotted this sign while we were waiting for in line for the Underground.


If I was going to risk being tossed out of Adventureland, I don't think I'd spend my time advertising for Red Robin, "Yuuuuummmmm!" (Irony noted because I just did.)


The Frog Hopper brought genuine smiles.



We rode the Ferris Wheel to take a break and catch a breeze.


This about as high as I want to get. I'm not a fan of the Space Shot, and you can forget about getting me on the new Storm Chaser.


On the Lady Bug and again, the tongue.


Then it was hot enough to head over to Adventure Bay to splash around Heron Harbor, slide around Kokomo Kove, and brave the waves in the "biiiigggg" pool. Adventure Bay has a swim up bar located in the middle of the lazy river. They serve alcohol drinks there, but for the kids there is an identical swim up bar located next to the pirate ship in the back. When we were there the flat screen behind the "bartender" was playing Frozen, and it was cute listening to 30 kids sing "Let It Go" in unison. I think it's interesting that candy cigarettes and gum cigars are frowned upon, but a kiddy version of a bar is fine.

We were in Adventure Bay for a few hours, and it was packed. I didn't take any pictures, though. You never know who's going to show up in the background of the frame. Prisons are full of people who have made bad decisions, and so are public swimming pools.

After Charlotte and Daphne squeezed out of the ladies changing room - the changing areas are woefully undersized and are the only flaw in the design of the park - we went to ride a few more rides.

Char and Daph took the Chuckwagon for a spin, and while they were riding Char told Mom she had a pet dragon named "Lolly Dragon". Daphne decided her dragon would be named "Flame Dragon".


When the ride ended Char jumped over and asked what my dragon's name was? After seven hours at Adventureland I honestly told Char my dragon's name is "Myassis Dragon" (sound it out).

 Then, what do you know, they rode the Puff Dragons. This explained Char's dragon name game.


After the Log Ride (the camera was safe in the pool bag), Char wanted to stick her tongue out at the camera one more time.


Anytime I watch Char enjoying these rides I get a sense of Déjà vu.

Here's my sister Michelle and I on July 25, 1971.



I love traditions.

link

No comments:

Post a Comment