Tuesday, July 1, 2014

June Highlights part 1

Our summer started in Lincoln, Nebraska where we attended my cousin's wedding. I picked up a copy of The Reader while we were gassing up in Omaha. I look for these independent newspapers anytime I'm visiting an unfamiliar city. They're a great source for what the city has to offer for entertainment.


I noticed that "The Taste of Omaha" would be taking place while we were coming home on Sunday, so we made that a stopping point.


The food wasn't too exciting for Charlotte, but she got to ride a carousel, and that was big deal.


We also visited Omaha during our last Spring Break, and I was pumped to learn that Goodwill had a store dedicated to retro and funky items.


I was able to stop by the store, but by that time Char had just too much vacation, and she had a meltdown in the store. These things happen. Although I only had about ten minutes to shop, I bought this sweet tape deck. It's an AKAI GXC-510D, and it was manufactured in 1974. I think.


Here's the AKAI in its new basement home.




I found this Jimi Hendrix mix-tape in the store and used it to test the cassette deck. 




I bought the tape, too. Side B of the Hendrix tape is a fun mix of studio and live cuts, but someone recorded Hootie and the Blowfish's Cracked Rear View over most of Side A. That's a bit of a disappointment.

What was more disappointing was my return to the reServe store after leaving Taste of Omaha. All day I had been wondering what kind of cool stuff I was going to find. The outside of the store looked just like it did back in March. 


But the inside the store had changed drastically. I guess the retro sales were slim, because the store had been changed over to a 99 Cent Goodwill. Which means all the vintage items had been replaced with... well, let's just say I didn't find anything cool. Insert sound of "balloon losing air" here

We went home after that very brief shopping trip. After two nights in the Lincoln hotel, three hours in the pool, a morning at the Children's Museum, a wedding dance, and a taste of a city, someone was tired.


But I had a suspicion that we'd be back. I saw this in The Reader.


No comments:

Post a Comment