Monday, April 21, 2014

Waffle Eggs: A Breakfast By Any Other Name...

One of my favorite breakfast dishes is an egg fried in a hole in a slice of bread. The combination of eggs and toast might not be health food, but it's sure comforting. Growing up, we called it "Eggs in Bread", but I think the more common name is "Egg-in-a-Hole". It must be a pretty popular dish, because it goes by several other names, too:

Egg-in-a-Basket
Chicken-in-a-Basket
Frog-in-a-Hole
Toad-in-a-Hole
Egg Basket
Bird’s Nest Egg
Toad Hole
Egg Hole
Pop Eyes
Egg Toast
Private Eyes


I'd like to add another name to that list. I'm not what you'd call a creative cook. I usually follow a recipe by the letter, but here's my take on "Egg-in-a-Hole": "Waffle-Eggs!" (I also considered "Egg-in-an Eggo".)

Instead of bread, I use frozen waffles. Any brand will work, but here I'm working with the frozen waffles that are sold in bulk at Costco. 

First I drop two waffles in the toaster for one round on the lowest setting. I think it's easier to cut a hole in a waffle that's been warmed a bit. Then I spread butter (or margarine) on each side before making the hole. If you don't have a cookie cutter handy, then a small juice glass works fine.



Once the pan reaches medium heat - I turn the control knob to 6 - slide in the waffles and the "rounds" you cut out. I put a drop of butter in each hole, and then I crack an egg into the hole. Salt and pepper each egg as desired. (Hey, that kinda looks like WALL-E.)


I use the little waffle rounds to tell me when I can flip the Waffle-Eggs. The rounds are easy to flip, and when they're brown, so are their big brothers.


You can use the same trick with this side. For this dish I'm a fan of using yoke like syrup, so I like the yolk to be a bit runny. You can cook them to any degree you want. Just tap the top cooked side of the egg with your spatula to see how soft the yolk is underneath.

Time to plate it.


To quote Daphne, "Yum!"

If you want to see another idea I had for frozen waffles, you can click here.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for keeping it sweet and simple, straight to the point. I'm going to be making this tonight for supper.

    ReplyDelete