Monday, April 7, 2014

A Dog Named Phew

My daughter's bedtime is between 8:00 and 8:30 pm, and before the lights are turned off Daphne typically tucks Char in bed and reads her a few books.

A few nights ago it was past 8:00, and I could hear peals of laugher coming from Char's room. I walked upstairs to find Char and her mom reading on Char's bed, as usual, but Char was rolling on the covers and laughing so hard she could barely breathe.

This is the book they had just finished reading.


Daphne found Walter the Farting Dog at the library. I swear it wasn't me. And before she read it to Char she simply told her, "This is a story about a dog named Walter." As soon as they turned the page and got to Walter's first fart, it was all over. Charlotte was bustin' a gut.

I can't say that I blame her. Char asked to read the book "Again!" And I volunteered. But I couldn't get through this paragraph. I was laughing so hard I was crying.


I'm sure we were punchy, but seriously, everyone likes fart jokes, even if they wouldn't ever admit it. There's a reason this book reached the top of the The New York Times children's best seller list, spawned four sequels, and was in the office of White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten who reportedly kept it as a "conversation starter". For a while the Jonas Brothers wanted to make a Walter the Farting Dog movie. (wikipedia).

We had so much fun with that book I had to check the library's web page for one of the sequels. Did you know that flatulence has it's own category in the system's search engine?


See? Everyone likes fart jokes. The Des Moines Public Library has twelve different books about them. I better head over there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment