Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Totino's Pizza: Not Special; Limited

I believe Totino's pizzas are on the bottom rung of the pizza ladder. That doesn't mean I don't like them, every journey begins with a single step, but if your pizza journey begins with Totino's, then there's no place to go but up.


Personally, I only eat a Totino's pizza when I'm desperate or alone (or both). So, I wouldn't call it a "party" pizza. It's more of a "you didn't get invited to the party, so it's just us" pizza.


I think it's suspicious that Totino's doesn't sell Canadian Bacon pizza, but Canadian Style Bacon.  Canadian style?  Does their bacon wear tiny knit hats?

In the 90's I bought this used Mitsubishi Gallant. I still like the rims on that car, but I'm embarrassed to see that I use to tuck my t-shirts into my shorts. Pull that shirt out, bozo.


It was a pretty nice car until some kid keyed the hood while it was parked at school. The paint along the scratch began to chip away, and by the end of winter most of the hood was bare.

To compensate, I glued a gold "Limited Edition" emblem to the trunk. It didn't make the car look any better, but that plastic lie made me giggle.



Now whenever I see a product marked as a "Limited Edition", I look at it with skepticism. Those words might be on the box just so the makers can feel better about themselves. Come to think of it, "limited" isn't much of a compliment. Here's the Oxford Dictionary's third definition.


When using that definition, you can't swap "limited" and "special". Imagine taking that route during a parent teacher conference.

Mom: "We think our Tony is such a special kid."
Me: "I agree! He's very limited."

It's with that skepticism that I approached this Totino's pizza at the grocery store. On Saturday I was fighting a severe head cold, and I was desperate for an easy meal.



This limited edition, Mexican styled pizza also has limited time flavor? What is that? Is it like Fruit Stripe Gum? After three chews all the mexican style flavor disappears? What flavor would be left in its wake?

 Time to find out.


It didn't look like the picture on the box, but I was surprised that this pizza had some Mexican flavor. Not a lot of Mexican flavor, but a limited amount.

Limited Edition: I guess there can be truth in advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment