Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Snack Attack


"A zine (pron.: /ˈzn/ zeen; an abbreviation of fanzine, or magazine) is most commonly a small circulation self-published work of original and/or appropriated texts and images usually reproduced via photocopier."

My broadcast journalism professor said he knew everything there was to know about rock music created before 1976, but after that, "There wasn't anything worth knowing."

I think Lance Laurie, author and designer of the now defunct zine Snackbar Confidential, feels the same way about pop culture. "I created Snackbar Confidential in 1997. It's a small xeroxed cut-n-paste ZINE (ON PAPER!) with lots of original ads and clippings from the years 1966 through 1976. Every issue is filled with concert ads (Led Zeppelin, The Carpenters,The Raspberries), food ads (Space Food Sticks, Marathon candy bars, Zotz), TV show ads (Maude, Love American Style), and other oddball movie, cartoon and lots of FOOD ads. So if you were one of the Brady Bunch/Charles Manson generation--you'll dig it!"


Here's a typical page from any issue of Snackbar:


Mr. Laurie touted Snackbar Confidential as "The zine with an itchy finger on your memory trigger", and I really enjoy his mixture of nostalgia and sarcasm.




The "test pattern woman" appeared in almost every film shown in my junior high classes. I'd yell, "Wooo Wooo!" every time she popped up onscreen. Even though we were in a dark room, the teacher always grumbled, "Brent! Be quiet!"

From 1998 to 2005, I collected 14 issues of Snackbar Confidential. Despite the existence of email, Lance would mail post cards to let people know that his newest issue was ready. I respect that low-tech ethos, and the post cards were fun to receive:




No, I'm not sharing my home address with you. I had the issues mailed to the high school because my initial interest in zines was for finding creative publications for my journalism students to read. 

I really haven't thought about my Snackbar collection for years. But then I saw this on TV Sunday night. Click here.

I don't have an opinion about Mackenzie Phillips, but I remembered what Lance thought (or pretended to think) of her. This is the back cover of one of his Snackbar issues.




I sure hope no one ever prints a zine or creates a blog where they have fun at my daughter's expense. 

Ummm...

whoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment