Friday, February 15, 2013

Bug Update: The Doors

Back in August I found myself in a staff meeting where we were asked to tell the group something unique about ourselves. Knowing that few people read my blog, I said, "I'm restoring a 1962 Volkswagen Bug by myself."

Even as I said the words, I didn't think I was telling the truth. Am I really restoring this car? I don't think so. "Restoring" implies I'm taking this car back to its original condition. That's not my goal; I don't want the Bug to look new. I just want my car to look better. I guess I'm not restoring the Bug, I'm improving it.

What's most important to me is that it stops safely, starts reliably, and doesn't look embarrassing - in that order. I do have the brakes sorted out, and when the battery is fully charged, the car fires up like a champ. That's two out of three, which ain't bad, but I'm still not there. 

I like that I can get the faded paint to shine, but I have to work on the bent bumper, the dented front fender, and the rust holes in the doors.



 There was a time when I would have just run strip of tape over the holes and called it good:

But I'm not that guy anymore. I don't want "bodywork" that will peel off in the rain. The problem is I also don't want to fix those rust holes myself. I don't have a welder, let alone the skills needed to weld in a patch panel.  So, I'm taking what I hope is the easier route. I'm going to install a better door.

Initially I thought I'd use the door my Dad had purchased back in the nineties. On the upside it's the right year and it was free, but on the downside the door was the wrong color and the bottom sill had begun to rust. 

Ultimately I decided to use that door for parts only, so I needed to go shopping. I now check my saved searches for TheSamba.com classified ads about three times a day:

 
Shopping these ads requires patience, diligence, and good timing (i.e. luck). You had better done your homework, too. If a popular part comes up for sale, you only have seconds to decide if it's a good fit for your car and your budget. 

My car's paint color is L87 pearl white. Because it's the same color as Herbie, it's fairly popular. I got really lucky back in December when I spotted an ad for a pair of pearl white doors off of a '64 Beetle that was in Sacramento, California. Here's a picture from the ad:


All years of Bug doors will fit my car, but I have learned that only doors made from 1961 to 1964 will have the right shape for the body lines and the chrome strips to align.  I also know you should never buy a car or a car part in the rain, but I checked the seller's positive feedback and decided I could take a chance. As soon as Daphne confirmed the color would match my car, I emailed the seller and offered to buy both doors. I wanted that front fender, too.

Although the ad was online for only five minutes, the passenger door was already sold. But I was able to snag the driver's door for $100. I was worried that shipping something as heavy as a car door would be really expensive, but seller was using the Greyhound Bus system, and they only charged $60. I wasn't aware that Greyhound shipped packages. I guess they just put them under the bus with the luggage. Actually, it's a pretty good idea. Anyway, six days on the road, and the door made it home alright. 

Unless you want to pay extra, you have to go down to the Greyhound station to receive your package. The station was crowded when I got there, but December 21st is the busiest travel day of the year. I was disappointed when I was told that they didn't have anything for me, but when I said it was a car door, the guy behind the counter knew exactly where it was.

Sizing it up.

Looks like the door took quite a trip to get to me:

I know these cars aren't big Legos and the parts don't just snap together, but I think I can get this door on without too much swearing... I've already been able to break free the rusted hinge screws and replace them with original German ones.

Before:

Two hours later:


Now you'll have to excuse me, I still have another door, a front fender, and a bumper to shop for.

No comments:

Post a Comment