Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Catch and Release

Last Saturday morning Daphne's middle school jazz band attended a jazz festival, and Char and I had some time to hang out together. After eating a breakfast of mini pancakes in bed, watching some public TV programming, and reading 12 picture books, I decided to take Char to Goodwill.

She's only been to the store twice, but Charlotte has a blast playing with their toys. While she was moving a plastic lunch in and out of a plastic oven, I spied this chair and hassock.


Honestly, if I was single, this is exactly the kind of thing I would have purchased without thinking twice. $6.99 for both?  Load 'em up. They're an ugly mustard color? I don't care. I don't see color all that well, and I love the retro design. With a little upholstery cleaner, an electric lint shaver, and a bottle of Febreze, this set could easily fetch $100 or more in a trendy vintage store. I'm sure of it. I'm also sure this is exactly the kind of thing that kept me single for so long.

So, I thought twice and took out my camera instead of my wallet. Then we left for Culver's to have a real lunch with Mom and her jazz band. While we were biting and stretching Wisconsin Cheese Curds, I decided to show Daphne the picture of my find.

"Hey. Wanna see what I found at Goodwill?" Daphne eyed me suspiciously as I handed the camera across the table.

She studied the screen for a few seconds and asked, "This isn't in the back of the RAV is it?"

"No. I told you we didn't buy anything. We both just played with stuff."

"Oh, " she brightened, "that's good. I'm really glad you two had fun."

"Yup."

See? I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment