Friday, January 18, 2013

CAT BUS! Cat Bus! kat buth.

When I was looking for Christmas gifts for Charlotte, I thought it might be fun to find some more stuffed toys inspired by the movie Totoro. (see November's "Hey Neighbor" post for my take on the film)

Here's the Catbus. It's one of her favorite characters from the movie.



 This toy looked really cool until I saw the price:


$649? Are you kidding me? I've paid less for a month's rent. But thanks for the free shipping.

Then I found this one:


$215.99 and then another $78 for shipping? I could fill a hot tub with used Beanie Babies for that price. What is it with these Totoro toys, anyway? Do those 12 Catbus feet give you back rubs or something?

One more try. This price looked really cool until I saw the toy:


Jeeze, this looks more like something the Catbus would cover up in its litter box. I was done looking for Catbus toys.

In the end, I turned to ESTY and purchased a hand crocheted Totoro hat. I really like that this gift couldn't be purchased in a retail store. The hat wasn't made by a machine, but by a real person who has pride in their work. That's like the difference between receiving a handwritten thank you note and getting a thank you email. Both are nice, but one is much more special.


Not only does the hat look cool, the thick yarn keeps Char's head and ears warm when she's heading out to take a class with the Good Time Gang.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/118932215/totoro-hat-inspired-hand-crochet-baby-to

No comments:

Post a Comment