Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hey Buddy


For the last umteenth 4th of Julys Robert Moeller and I have stood next to each other, arm in arm, holding sparklers. Only illness and deployment have stopped these pictures from happening.

I'm 43, and I have known Rob for 36 years. In weddings we have been each other's best man. We have the type of friendship that doesn't require constant communication; after all that time there isn't that much new to say.

If I was to drive to Sioux Falls today, let myself into Rob's house with my key, and plop myself onto his couch before he got home from work; I'd know there would be no problem. He'd come home, see me lying there, and without batting an eye ask, "How long you staying?"

"Just tonight," I'd reply.

"Sweet. We should grill."

And that would be that. We'd grill.

Here's  my BFF:

No comments:

Post a Comment