Thursday, June 7, 2012

Father's Day is June 17

I was given quite a few books about parenting when family and friends found out Daphne was expecting. Some were serious,  some were technical, some were funny, but all were good. My favorite, however, was a little book  given to me by Daphne as a first Father's Day present.


"Father to Daughter" is a compilation of advice from "... dads of successful daughters. Their daughters are academic powerhouses, star athletes, talented artists, honors graduates... This is really their [the dad's] book. I just wrote down what they said."  from the book's preface

Each page contains just one piece of advice, and I think that's perfect. The best advice is almost always a one-liner. The book is divided into eight sections with titles like "The Wonder Years", "The Mystery Years", and "Girls & Boys".

I've already learned this one:

Char doesn't have a true purse yet, but I did put one in her Easter basket:



 The best compliment I can give this book is that I have shared it with other people who have daughters, and no matter what page they turn to, they say, "Oh, that's so true."


My female high school students assure me this will happen:



I still remember how hard it stung when my dad first yelled that I was a S.O.B. So, noted:


During parent-teacher conferences I showed the book to a buddy of mine who at the time had a 18 month old daughter. I thought he might get a kick out of it. An hour later he returned the book and told me he just ordered three copies from Amazon: one for himself, and two for friends who were about to have daughters born.

Later that evening I handed it to a teacher who had just recently been granted grandma status. She too bought a copy online before giving it back to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Father-Daughter-Life-Lessons-Raising/dp/0761129774

If you're looking how to change a diaper or trying to find out what food is the best for your little girl, then this isn't the book for you.  But if you want some everyday advice from guys who know what they're talking about, then you can't miss.


Page 376 is the only one that doesn't work for me. My dreams aren't this good.

No comments:

Post a Comment