Thursday, March 23, 2023

Retro Gaming Hits and Misses (Part 4)

I have been using this Vizio sound bar in our basement for years.

The sound bar was quite a revelation. An explosion on the screen made it feel like I was surrounded by debris and flames, and I didn't need six speakers to pull that off. Since it is only a 2.1 system (two enclosed speakers and a subwoofer), it really works well with my older, 2.0 DVDs. 

I found this Vizio subwoofer at GoodWill a couple of months ago for $6. I checked my phone to see if it was possible to connect two subwoofers to one sound bar. The internet said it was possible. I bought it hoping I could bring more thunder downstairs.


Miss!

I couldn't get the sound bar to recognize the other subwoofer in the room. Shoot! I almost put the sub in the garbage since I had no way to test it. In the end, I left it near my chair and used it as a small table/ drink coaster. I was just being lazy to be honest. 

I recently found a Vizio sound bar by its lonesome at the Many Hands Thrift Store. The price sticker read, "No cords, untested, $10." I flipped it over to take a picture of model label. That evening I remembered the picture and compared it to the label on the sub. They were both Vizio V3. I brought the sound bar home the next day and although it took awhile the two eventually paired. 

Back to Amazon I went.


The replacement remote works just fine.

Hit!

I'm using an optical audio cable to connect the PS2 to the sound bar and some wood scraps from school to raise the bar over the cords.


A lot gets lost in translation when you use a phone to record a television screen, but this is what it kind of looks and sounds like after all these hits and misses. This is part of the opening to Sled Storm (2002). 


I have to admit I'm impressed with the TV. I would have laughed at the idea of buying a 4:3 set a couple of years ago. Now I think I should grab a couple more while I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment