Saturday, March 28, 2020

Spring Cleaning

I wanted to get a haircut before spring break, but I put it off thinking that I had all kinds of time. Then everything changed, and it was too late. My hair was starting to look like a grey bush.


I began watching DIY haircut videos on YouTube, and looking for a hair clippers set for men. Like toilet paper, I couldn't find anything locally. I guess I'm not the only guy who needs a haircut. I checked Amazon, but the clippers wouldn't ship until April 15 to May 5. The same went for eBay. That wasn't going to tame my mane. 

Then I eyed the beard trimmer that Daphne bought me last year.


The adjustable guard wouldn't extend as long as I would have liked, but the trimmer was the best option I had. With trepidation, Daphne agreed to give it a shot. I have to hand it to her for even trying to cut my hair. This was way out of her comfort zone, but she was willing to give it a shot to help me out.

Daphne kept warning me that it wouldn't look like a professional hair cut as she moved the trimmer around my noggin. I didn't care. I was just sick of walking around the house all day looking at a greying haystack on top of my head. 

She used the longest adjustment for my whole head, and then went with shorter settings on my sides and back.


Not bad at all! 

(I can't say, "Looking Good," because that would be egotistical.)

I think we pushed the trimmer beyond its purpose, but it soldiered on. Daphne eventually became more comfortable with the process, and she made mental notes on how to make the cut look better the next time.

Since new trimmer kits aren't available, I decided to shop "used." I bought the recommended WAHL Elite Pro Home kit this afternoon on eBay. It's missing the #1 comb, but I can live with that.


I love buying tools, but I didn't think I'd be excited about getting hair grooming products. I expect I'll now be looking at professional barber tools with envy and start searching for vintage, chrome, professional hair trimmers.

My world might change, but I won't change too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment