Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Xboxing a 360

We bought a used Xbox 360 last year so Char could play Minecraft at home. Now she has a friend who also plays that game, and the two would like to play together on Xbox Live.

I told her I'd look into it. But man, I really don't like learning new technology systems when I have zero interest in them. Plus, new tech is intimidating. I kept my promise, though, and started investigating Xbox Live. It felt like doing a dreaded homework assignment.

One thing I learned is that early Xbox consoles were often hacked so they would play pirate games and unauthorized software. Microsoft fought back by banning these consoles from Xbox Live in 2009. I had no idea if I had a modded/ banned player. There isn't a way to tell. I didn't want to throw away money on a Live subscription that wouldn't work.

I talked to one of my gamer students about it. He suggested using a 48-hour trial code, "They cost about a dollar. If your console is modded, then at least you wouldn't be out much money." That was sound advice. I bought this code from eBay, but I didn't tell Char about it in case the 360 was indeed modded.


Charlotte had a school dance on Friday night. I thought I could skip the dance and secretly work on the Xbox, but that was not in the plan. Char is on the left with a Mickey balloon. Balloon possession is a big deal at elementary dances.


She went to bed around 9:30, and I spent the next two hours trying to figure out how to redeem the code and access Xbox Live.


I kept getting error codes, and I had to look up each one to see what it meant and how to repair the error. Friday night is my favorite six hours of the week, and I gave up on the 360 when I realized how much of my evening I was wasting.

Saturday was a daddy-daughter day until the doorbell rang at 2:30. Char's friends were at the door, and I was left hanging like a forgotten paper receipt dangling from a gas pump. I consoled myself by going back to work on the 360. I could still be a hero if I could figure it out.

By 5:30 I had created my profile on microsoft.com (I'm PinchedFish 577), and Char was back home. I downloaded the profile to our player, and told her about my progress. Char nervously read me the 25 digit code, and it was accepted! Char danced around the room in excitement while I fired up Minecraft. She couldn't wait to go Live and do battle against unknown enemies.

But she did have to wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. The top of the screen read something like, "Battle cannot begin until 1 or more players enter the area." After 45 minutes I was pretty sure that I had somehow messed it all up. Char looked like a kid who had thrown a birthday party that nobody had come to. When she sadly turned off the 360, I said, "I'm sorry that it didn't work, Char."

She began to slowly walk up the stairs when she replied, "That's okay, Dad. Thank you for trying."

**dad-heart stabbed, removed, and pummeled with a sledge hammer**

I didn't want to mess around with this Xbox Live crap to begin with, but here I am with a girl wrapped in a disappointment blanket, and I was angry about that. I read the fine print on the 48-hour trial code, and I spotted this: "Xbox Live 48-trial allows access to online multiplayer gaming, but not other Gold membership features." Maybe that was the problem?

So, I quickly ordered this. Three months of Xbox Live for less than 17 bucks seemed okay.


I thought the code would show up instantly, but the confirmation email stated I'd get my card and code on February 11. What? I didn't see that in the ad.

So, I quickly ordered this. Two weeks of Xbox Live for less than four bucks seemed okay.


Two weeks would take us past the day the three month card/code would arrive. The 14-day code arrived immediately, and it worked flawlessly. So, I tried Minecraft Live after Char went to bed. It still didn't work. No one showed up to my party, either.

I then Googled the question I should have started with: Can you still play Minecraft Live on Xbox 360?

Here's the answer: Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition can only be played with other Xbox 360 consoles on Xbox Live. The Xbox One edition can only be played online with other Xbox One consoles. There is no cross-platform play between the Xbox editions and other editions of Minecraft.


Okay. That settles that. Her friend plays on a new tablet, and there is no way they are going to be able to play Minecraft together. I doubt anyone else is standing in line online to play a version of a game that's 11 years old. I have wasted multiple evening hours and tens of dollars on this fiasco. 

Quick, I need to find a bright spot... doesn't the Xbox offer free games each month? I think I read that somewhere... The 14-day pass is supposed to have full access...



What? *insert sound of tires screeching to a halt here* Grrrr! I can't get to the free games, either? Can't I catch a break? 

While messing around I spotted this menu:


An A through Z game list? I explored the titles and came to screeching halt in the "G" list.


A Giana Sisters game? We love those girls. Char and I played their DS game last year and had a blast. They helped me kill hours during Char's swimming lessons. (I also played Giana's Return a lot when I was into Dreamcast home-brew.)


Twisted Dreams sounded like a great title. I downloaded the free trial, and Char was really impressed when she played it the next day, "Dad! This game is EPIC!"


I bought the game for $2.99, and Twisted Dreams is now permanently on our system  We couldn't have gotten this game any other way but through Xbox Live, and I can't tell you how much I emphasized this point to Char. "See, it does work, but just not the way we planned."

While playing Twisted Dreams, Char said, "Dad, I'm really glad you tried so hard to get Live working. Thanks soooo much!"

**dad-heart regrows in chest, begins to beat once more, and even swells a little**

Addendum: 
Turns out I was wrong, again. Charlotte's cousins, Josh and Zach, sent her some of their old 360 games via Grandma Betty (thanks, guys!). Char likes racing games, so I took Split Second out for a test drive when she wasn't around.


The Xbox Live feature works with Split Second, and I did stand in line to race others online in a game that's almost 11 years old. I was terrible, by the way. I kept driving off a cliff.

Char will love it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment