Monday, April 1, 2019

The 3rd Grade Wax Museum

Charlotte has been talking about the Wax Museum for several weeks, and last Friday was finally the day of her performance. Char had chosen to be Harriet Tubman, and her morning sign was supportive.


Char had her note card ready to go.


Both Daphne and I took a half personal day so we could be there when the Museum opened, but we had time to eat lunch at Taco Hangover in Ankeny. It was better than eating at school, that's for sure.


The Wax Museum opened at 1:30.


We could see all of the 3rd graders in costume and frozen in their historical figures' poses when we walked into the gym. Each student had a red button taped to the floor in front of them. When you pressed the button, they came to life and told you about themselves. It's a great idea for a research project.


I am going to go on record by saying everyone did a great job. Each student took the Wax Museum very seriously. They stayed in character, thanked you when they were done talking, and then resumed their frozen positions. It was also painfully cute.

The only thing that was a little difficult for me was hearing a child unblinkingly say when they died.

Here's Char as Harriet.


She is hard to hear in this video, but you get the idea.


Of course, Daphne and I pressed Harriet's button more than once. Char didn't break character except to trade an eye wink with me. 


The first 15 minutes or so were dedicated to parents and family. The other grades started to pour in after that. We stayed for almost an hour, and the time flew by. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed myself.


I was very proud of Charlotte, but I felt a twinge of regret when we left. Moments like these are always over too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment