Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Chip Off the Old Block

Char wanted, among other things, to serve potato chips at her last birthday party. I suggested Munchos.

Char rolled her eyes the first time I made this suggestion. She lightly punched me in the shoulder the second time. The third time I brought up Munchos - we were in Hy-Vee - she protested, "Dad! Be serious! The party is this week!"

I led her to the chip aisle and pointed to a bag. "I am being serious. Look, they're right here." Char's eye bulged. She couldn't believe Munchos actually existed. "I'll tell ya what. I'll buy you a bag of Munchos, and we'll try them when we get home. If you don't like them, then I'll finish the bag myself, and bring you back here to get any kind of chips this store sells." (We don't buy potato chips very often, so this would be a win-win for me no matter what.)

I opened the bag in our kitchen, and her eyes rolled up when she tasted her first chip. "Mmmmph! Dad! Munchos are soooo good!"

"I know! But didn't I tell you that five times already? Why wouldn't you believe me?"

"Well, actually it was four times," she corrected, "but I thought you made these up. You know, you're a dad. You're supposed to tease me."

"Well, that is true. But not about something as important as birthday party chips."  

At the party, when Daphne brought out two bowls of chips, Charlotte announced to the table, "Ohhh! Try these first. They're Munchos!" I'll admit that I felt a twinge of pride.


Here's a link to a Jim Hensen commercial from 1969. Guess who liked Muchos before they liked cookies? ----> link

PS. This post is proof that you can blog about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment