Wednesday, February 20, 2019

White Winter Hymnals

This morning Urbandale Schools had a two-hour delay due to the weather. Daphne and I finished shoveling around 6:45, and from the driveway I could see that the light was already on in Char's room. Charlotte was hoping for a school delay so she could lounge around in her PJs.

Later I was watching the news while Charlotte was eating breakfast. A Toyota commercial appeared with the Fleet Foxes' "Ragged Wood" playing in the background. I thought, That would sound good on the way to school today. Fleeting thoughts like that usually don't return before we leave the house, but today I remembered to grab the Fleet Foxes' self-titled CD.


The music filled the car as I backed out of the garage. Outside, the snow was falling silently. By the time the second song came on, "White Winter Hymnal", Char was also quiet.


We passed under a bridge, and I looked into the rearview mirror and asked, "What do you think? I thought this music would be calming on a morning like this."

Char smiled. "Mission accomplished," she said without looking away from her window.

link--> White Winter Hymnal

No comments:

Post a Comment