Thursday, June 28, 2018

New Project! ('What to Do, What to Do?" Update)

June Update:

I finally got around to working on the Suburban. The previous owner had installed a front basket, but it wasn't correctly aligned, and it had wedged the front fender down against the front tire. That's why the front tire wouldn't turn. Removing the basket removed the pressure, and we were rolling again.

With the basket out of the way, I could flip the bracket that held the headlight and reposition the light to be out in front. The lamp didn't work, but a new bulb from eBay fixed that. I also bought a vintage-looking bike bell on eBay.


I really like the light generator unit. You flip a tab, the generator slaps against the tire, and "Aziz, light!" Not only is it environmentally friendly, the generator's chrome looks cool, too.


I could make it work if I wanted to have both the basket and the headlight. But for now, I'm digging this look. I removed the TV screen-sized front reflector for aesthetics.


To my surprise, the bike is mechanically sound. I really didn't have to adjust or replace much. Even the flat tires were in good shape; they just needed air. So, most of my elbow grease was spent making the Suburban pretty again.

As I hoped, the surface rust wasn't too hard to remove, and the frame's paint is in really nice shape for being almost 40 years old. I was going to use a newer saddle, but the original seat just suits this bike's old school charm.



I took the bike on a test run last night, and I was amazed at how well it rode. I could shift gears with ease, and the lights have a warm, non-LED glow. The bike is so quiet, it reminded me of a cat's purr. This is a nice piece of vintage machinery.

To sell, or not to sell, that is the question. The bike's frame is too small for Daphne, and it is too big for Charlotte right now. I have no idea if Char will be into vintage stuff when she's old enough to ride this bike. I don't want to work my way around the Suburban in the garage for the next few years only to be told it's lame and that she rather have some new piece of junk. ("new piece of junk" - I'm very slowly making my way into crabby grandpa territory...)

I thought I'd go to the source. I took Char out to the garage and asked her if she thought she'd like to have this bike in a few years. She said, "Yes! I want that... Wait! If you sell it, can I have the money?"

Nope, my little capitalist is not a help, either.

What do you do with something you really like, but you can't use? Maybe I'll put it on Craigslist, and hope that no one will want it...

January '18:

I don't know what I was exactly doing at the time, but I remember thinking last week, "I wish I had a new bike project. I miss working on bicycles."

Goodwill fulfilled that wish last night. I spotted a complete, but neglected 1979 Schwinn Suburban that I couldn't walk away from. It was a daddy-daughter night, so once I had it home I only had time to fill the tires with air so the bike was easier to move. The front tire was stuck, though.

I haven't measured it yet, but this ten speed looks like it has the diminutive 17" frame. If you were trying to find a vintage steed this small, you could have a hard time. This bike sports standard 27" rims despite its petite size. New tires and tubes should be easy to find.


The basket is a nice touch, but it might be too big.


The camera's flash belies the amount of dirt and grime, but that's an easy fix. Also, steel wool will remove the light surface rust on the chrome. I'm looking forward to washing and waxing that frosty blue paint.


The original Schwinn saddle will probably have to go. It's heavier than it is comfortable. Surprisingly, the generator and the rear light both work. I'll store them for a future project.


The same goes for the "Up Periscope!" headlight. 


I refurbished a project bike like this three years ago. That was a good time, and I sold the bike to someone who really wanted it. I'm curious to see how this one comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment