Friday, December 9, 2016

Feeling Like a King (An Email Reprint)

I don't remember her exact age, but Charlotte was in a baby carrier that faced the rear of the car when I wrote this email. When I listen to this song now, it takes me right back to that moment. Music makes time travel possible.


I recently took Charlotte for a slow car trip around the Saylorville Lake camping areas. I was hoping the rhythm of the ride would help her settle down and take the nap that she was refusing. To help me pass the time, I quietly previewed the "Hightone Records Catalog Sampler" CD that I had rescued from a free bin at the record store. 

As I was playing track two, "King O California" by Dave Alvin, I glanced back into the rear seat's baby mirror. I hadn't heard any complaints in awhile, and I expected to see closed eyes and maybe a bobbing head. Instead, Char's eyes were open and turned upwards to the side window. Her right hand had screwed the pink pacifier into the corner of her mouth, and as she watched the trees pass beneath the grey sky, her mouth was working up and down. Curious, I turned the stereo down to a whisper, and I could hear that, in her own way, Charlotte was singing along.


That's such a good memory. This is now one of my favorite songs. 

Link: "King O California" - Dave Alvin 

No comments:

Post a Comment