Monday, October 24, 2016

Halloween Begins; a Tradition Ends

I'm a little jealous of Charlotte's Halloween experience. When I was a kid, you got one night of free candy and a rerun of “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.” Now a kid can celebrate Halloween for weeks.

We started Halloween on Saturday at the Blank Park Zoo's "Night Eyes." Char told us last year that she would be a vampire next time. I don't know how she picks the costumes, but she doesn't change her mind.


Charlotte wasn't interested in the photo ops with characters this year; she was too focused on reading the posted jokes and getting candy. Char was having fun, but I could tell she was also going through the motions. This is the sixth time we've attended "Night Eyes," and I suspect that this might be our last.

She wasn't too old to enjoy the inflatables at the Fun Zone, but she couldn't jump on the one that was for children five and younger.


It's a fuzzy action picture, but I like it. She looks spooky jumping around in her makeup.


The only stand-in she wanted to pose by was this car. Char wants to drive? That is scary!


I had to ask her three times, but Charlotte finally endured the embarrassment of sitting with Dad in front of the Night Eyes pumpkin.


I didn't want to miss my chance to see how far we had come from our first "Night Eyes."

 2011:


2012:


That pumpkin isn't the only thing that's changed.

In between dance and karate lessons, we've got Trunk or Treat at church, Mysteries of the Castle, the Central Iowa Wind Ensemble's Kids Halloween Concert, and then there's Beggar's Night on Sunday. There's about 10 other events that we're going to miss, but you can't do everything. link

I am going to try to fit Charlie Brown in there somewhere. It's his special's 50th anniversary this year. Wow, looks like everybody's getting older...

No comments:

Post a Comment