Friday, April 3, 2015

Pinball Update: This Might Change Things

I was trying to figure out why the green "Joker" lights on my pinball flash when they're not supposed to. I posted my question on the tech forums on Pinside.com, and I was told to look for a normally closed switch on relay 1B. I found relay 1B after some research, but I couldn't see the switch that was "normally closed".

I thought to myself, How can I be so stupid? How come I can't even find a closed switch? 

Then, and I don't know why, I remembered seeing this notation towards the bottom on the schematic:


That's when I slapped my forehead.

I usually wait until a game is over before I work on my pinball machine. Then I shut off the machine and get to it. But that approach is wrong if I want to use the schematic. I should start the game first. Then after the ball has popped out into the shooter lane, I should shut the game off and pull the ball out. That's when the pinball machine matches the schematic.

No wonder I couldn't find the closed switch. The switch wasn't closed when I was looking at it.

It makes sense to have an unplugged machine in the "on" position. That's how you can safely find the electrical connections that aren't working, but I didn't think that deeply.

I don't know if this discovery makes me feel less stupid or more stupid... I suppose it doesn't matter as long as I'm making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment