Thursday, April 9, 2015

Pinball Update: 1B or not 1B? (That is the question.)

Here's another reason the pinball schematic is so confusing to me. Every electrical component in the machine is labeled, but different items share the same name. For example, look how "1B" is used.

1B is a relay:


1B is a "contact":


1B is a location for a pair of switches: 


 And 1B is also a position on the motor:


How can 1B be all those things at one time? The answer is that it isn't. And I know that because I spotted this while skimming repair posts on the Pinside.com forums.


Well that was news to me! The "contacts" tell you how many switches are on a relay, and in what position they should be. I needed to check this out.

One irritating problem I have with my machine is when the two "Jack" drop targets are down, the machine awards me bonus points for also making the "King" targets, even if they aren't down. No one likes a cheater, so I wanted that to stop. Here's the schematic's contacts.


Looks like the 2 Jacks Relay is the same as the 2 Kings Relay. Both should have six switches (6A) that are open and one switch (1B) that is closed.

When I checked the relays under the playfield, I spotted the problem. The Jacks Relay had two switches closed instead of one.


Since the two relays are supposed to be identical, I used the Kings relay to figured out which switch should be open on the Jacks Relay. I opened the switch with a contact adjuster, and now the machine has stopped awarding unearned King points!

I used this same line of logic to solve the mystery of the KX relay and why the machine wouldn't award "Double Bonus" points on balls two and three.

I'm starting to figure this out, but man, they sure don't make it easy on a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment