Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Fuzzy Logic Wins?

Back in December I noticed that a headlight in Daph's car had burned out. I checked the Toyota's manual to find the bulb's information, and this is what I read. See *1:


This is the headlight unit.


And this is what it costs to replace it.


When I told Daphne she exclaimed, "It's $387 to replace a headlight bulb? You have got to be kidding me!" I felt pretty sure there was another way.

And there was. I found a video at Car Care Kiosk showing how to replace the low beam bulb in the unit. It took me about 15 minutes to pull out the old bulb and install the $15 replacement. That saved us about $371.

Hmmm. That got me thinking, "$371. That savings is more than half of what I spent on our pinball machine. That means I could buy another pinball machine and it wouldn't cost us more that $229. $229 is pretty cheap for something as cool as another pinball machine."

"And you know what, if Daphne's other light goes out, and it probably will, I'll save another $371. That'll be $742. I can buy an even better pinball machine than I have now. This a great deal! Thanks, Mazda manual. You were more help than I could have imagined!"  

Fuzzy logic wins!

Unfortunately, I don't think Daphne will go for it.


Update '18: I replaced the drivers' side lightbulb last Friday, but Advanced Auto Parts website directed me to bulb 9005. Wrong:



I needed an H7 bulb instead, and I didn't discover that until I opened the 9005 package. So, I couldn't return the 9005 bulb even though I hadn't touched it. $17 down the drain.

Next time get bulb HZ and be aware that it has to be seated in the plasic connector that is original to the car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment