Friday, August 23, 2013

Restaurant Review: No Place Like Home Edition

One of my favorite things about living in Des Moines is how many great Mexican restaurants we have. Mexican restaurants are colorful and loud, their food tastes great, and I can't compliment more how quickly the food arrives to our table. As a parent of a three year old, they are all I can ask from a restaurant.

El Mariachi, El Aguila Real Mexican, Monterrey Mexican , El Rodeo, Isla Cozumel, Old West Mexican... (the list goes on) are all equal in my book. If you want it simple, visit Tasty Tacos. Want a little elegance? Go to Dos Rios.

Abelardo's, a Mexican restaurant that recently opened near our neighborhood, has caught my curiosity.


My only hesitation was that Albelardo's prominently advertises their "drive-thru". For me, Mexican food + drive-thru = Taco John's or even worse, Taco Bell. Those places are fine when you're in the mood for what they sell, but you're not getting a sizzling plate of fajitas or carnitas when you "think outside the bun". 

A few days ago we were short on time and dinner plans, so I took a chance and drove through Albelardo's drive-thru. I ordered the #14 carnitas plate, and Daphne went with a chicken burrito plate (#6). The seven minute wait at the drive up window was longer than I'm used to, but the heavy, Styrofoam containers given to me were hot, and they smelled great.

But what was inside?



Oh. My. Goodness.

Score!

Underneath that bed of fried and roasted pork is a layer of lettuce, cilantro, diced onions, diced tomatoes, and guacamole. The accompanying tortilla was huge and expertly browned, and the hot sauces that came in small containers appeared to be from house recipes. Never has such good Mexican food been served in my dining room.

Daphne's chicken burrito plate was equally impressive. After two bites she exclaimed, "This burrito is amazing. There are huge chunks of chicken in here!"


Unfortunately, Charlotte was in a mood, and she wouldn't even try her cheese quesadilla. In fact, she became really crabby and had a bit of a meltdown. Luckily, we weren't in the middle of a busy restaurant when she blew up. We were at home where she could throw her fit in private. Eventually some apple sauce calmed her down, and we all had a nice meal.

Thank you, Albelardo's.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! So good and great for parents and kiddos. Try the nachos. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte won't try the salsa on her chips, but I wonder if she'll go for melted cheese on one? Have to try that.

    ReplyDelete