Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Iowa State Fair 2013: Stick Your Head in There Edition

In a lot of ways, this year's trip to the fair was like our previous visits to the fair.

We stopped by Ye Old Mill to see our fair brick.



The girls shared a pork chop on a stick. And like last year, I didn't share mine.


They shared a funnel cake, and I stayed out of it. The only nonmeat items I eat at the fair are the cheese curds.


And we tried some new foods on a stick. A lot was made of the shrimp corn dog, but the bacon-wrapped rib won me over. Man, I hope this makes a comeback for next year.


Here's my rib, and yes, I did share it with Daphne. She got a bite.


The big difference with this visit to the fairgrounds was Charlotte herself. I'm sure it's just a phase, but she was too scared to do most of the things we enjoyed last last year. Clifford the Big Red Dog was terrifying. She was sure she'd be eaten by the tunnel at Ye Old Mill. And although we were among the 94,705 people who slid down the Giant Slide in 2012, Char was having none of it this year. She told me she wanted to go, but she ran away after I bought her a ticket to ride.

So, I went by myself.


The only ride she'd try was the Sky Ride, and I suspect that was because she could sit next to mom the whole time.


The big hit for Char were the wooden and fabric stand-ins that you can put your face through. She was all over those. 











Daphne doesn't have a clue why Char got such a kick out of posing with these stand-ins, but I have a suspicion.


My confession will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment