Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pun Burgers

I was in 6th grade when my sister made Soupy Burgers for our family. Preparing the meal was an assignment for her Home Economics class. The burgers had the cosistency of Dad's sloppy joes, but they looked worse and tasted better. I was pretty impressed, and I requested Soupy Burgers often.

For years I made these burgers using Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, but then I found this recipe on the back of a soup can label.


I don't usually study the cans in the grocery store's soup aisle, so I didn't know Campbell's made different kinds of mushroom soup. Somehow switching to Golden Mushroom soup made Michelle's Soupy Burgers a bit more fancy... as if soup combined with cooked meat can be considered luxurious on any level.


Like most simple recipes, this one's just a platform. You can substitute all kinds of soup. I've seen recipes using chicken gumbo, celery, and even alphabet soup. I bet you could use nacho cheese soup and your favorite salsa for some Mexi-themed burgers.

I saw this: recipe when I was doing a little research this morning, and I might make Chow Mein Burgers for my mom when she comes to visit next weekend. Mom loved going out for Chicken Chow Mein when I was growing up, but I wouldn't eat it. I thought her dinner looked like little sticks covered with snot.

Sorry. That's a horrible way to end a post about food.

No comments:

Post a Comment