I’m sticking with the architectural theme from yesterday’s post. So, let's see what's on the Holiday Horror shelf!
The year is 1959, you are a teenager, and you’ve come with a few friends to see the new Vincent Price movie, House on Haunted Hill. The lights have been dimmed for the opening reels, and now the theater is completely dark for the main feature. The screen is absolutely black. Silently, in white letters, this appears in the bottom left corner:
Allied Artists
Picture Corporation
Presents
Then the screen fades to black again and you expect the film’s title to appear. But it doesn’t. For eight seconds the theater is silent and pitch black. Then, through the huge theatrical sound system, you are startled by a woman’s ear-piercing scream! It’s followed by moans, another scream, maniacal laughter, creaking doors, chains rattling, and heavy footsteps. And all of this without a speck of light to be seen.
Then, after 30 seconds of this booming, horror soundscape, the disembodied head of Elisha Cook comes flying at you from the foreground to warn that, “The ghosts are moving tonight. Restless. Hungry…”
It might seem tame today, but in 1959 that was a pretty effective way to scare the crap out of an audience.
That opening was so popular that the movie's "audio jump scare" started the “spooky sound effect records” craze. You can still buy similar sound effect/ Halloween music CDs today.
40 years later, the remake of House on Haunted Hill did an admirable job of opening their film with a gut punch, too. That and the first scene with Geoffrey Rush and Lisa Loeb (!) in an elevator set the tone for the movie: This is going to be a wild and dark ride, and you can’t trust everything that you see. I also like Chris Kattan’s unhinged performance. I believe he was encouraged to go off script.
For me, the colorized version of the original is meh. I prefer the film in black and white. I bought this DVD for MST3K's Mike Nelson's commentary and for his signature.
Return to House on Haunted Hill is a direct-to-video release from 2007. According to IMDB trivia, "The film was designed for use with the Navigational Cinema technology which allows the viewer to choose between two ways the story can go at certain times within the film, ultimately featuring 96 different story possibilities. The feature is only present on the Blu-ray Disc version of the film." It's too bad I only found the DVD at Goodwill. I'll keep looking.
Waxwork Records released the soundtrack to House on Haunted Hill in 2024. It’s a combination of dialogue, score, and movie effects. The art work is really cool. At least I think it is. I haven’t broke the seal on this one, yet.


No comments:
Post a Comment