The Sega Genesis was released on January 9, 1989 for $189.99 ($525.54 in today’s money).
The Sega CD add-on for the Genesis out on October 15, 1992 for $299 ($706.34 today)
The Sega Saturn was launched on May 11, 1995 for $400 ($880.37 today).
I couldn’t afford any of these consoles at the time.
By 1996, Sony's Playstation and the Nintendo 64 had hit the market, and the Sega consoles were all but forgotten. Retro gaming wasn’t a thing in the 90’s when I first started teaching. Old game consoles weren’t cool, they were just, well, old. People just got rid of them and moved on to the next new thing.
Thrift stores weren’t cool, either. I would’ve been openly mocked by my high school students if I had admitted to them that I had bought something second-hand. Trust me on this. I know.
So, I thrifted every Saturday morning when I was least likely to be spotted going in or coming out of a Goodwill or similar store. Back then, used Sega products were all over the shelves. Whole systems were $4.99, loose cartridges were 25 cents, and long box games like these were $.79. But, like I said, retro games weren’t considered cool, so I certainly didn’t show them to people. I kept them in a box in my closet. Times change.
I’m not really comfortable with describing video games, so I’m going to let the Video Game Critic described these for you. Just click on the title, and you should be taken to his review.
It didn’t take too long before Sony’s Playstation and Playstation 2 games and consoles were next to be donated, and I’ll write about that soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment