Monday, September 28, 2026

I'm with the Band, but I Watch Football, too.

        October is almost here, but I'm going to post something non-horror related real quick. Football season is a holiday season for a lot of people, so I think this fits on the shelf.

    
    When Varsity Blues came out in 1999, a lot of my high school students were making fun of James Van Der Beek's bad southern accent, "I don't want your life!".  I didn't know why they seemed so offended. He wasn't messing up our Iowan accent. 
    Yeah, there's a lot of high school movie clichés in this film, but it's an interesting sports film that flips the script to have the antagonist be the school's own football coach. Jon Voight does an exceptional job of being dislikable, despite all the people on the commentary saying how nice he was in real life.
    Also, the scripted football scenes are great. AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" got a new life in sport montages after the football actors, real life high school and college players, showed the director how they used the song to get pumped up for their own games. 


    I like this film so much I bought a West Canaan Coyotes jersey from eBay. It doesn't hurt that it's in UHS's colors.


    Like I said, we're with the band at every home football game. Daphne and I volunteer to be on the pit crew. I helped drag out and raise up that drum major podium on the right in the foreground. 


    Someone seems to think we did an okay job.


    Okay, one horror related thing (can't help myself). "In Creature, set in the seemingly idyllic corporate town of Silverlake, Colorado, the 1989 book centers on a high school football team that never loses and a sinister high-tech sports clinic." 
    In a way, this really does relate to Varsity Blues. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment