It's FINALLY October! Yay!
I had fun last year at this time, so let's play another round of "What's on the Holiday Horror Shelf?"
1996’s Scream was a huge horror hit with my high school journalism students. It was pretty big news when it was announced that a sequel was being filmed. While we were waiting for that movie, someone (me) found a website the next year advertising a fan-made sequel called Scream Louder. I ordered a VHS copy with the intention of having a student write a movie review for our school paper. I don’t remember much about Scream Louder except the whole class laughed when we watched a clip of the killer trying and failing to jump out of a hot tub and attack someone. The actor hadn’t planned on their wet costume being so heavy and slippery.
I believe this was considered a "lost film" for a while, but someone (not me) recently uploaded the movie to YouTube.
The students had a lot of fun with Scream Louder, so the next year (1998) I ordered Writer’s Block from the same film makers’ website. I have since learned that there are no guarantees in education. A lesson that works with one class might fall its face the next year when you have different kids. That was the case with Writer’s Block. Not one student had any interest in watching the movie. Maybe it was the parent permission form that had to be signed before they could watch an “R” rated film.
I have seen references to Scream Louder online over the years, but not so much for Writer’s Block. I suppose it’s more of a "forgotten film" rather than a “lost" one.
It's cool that they included a supplements tape.
I hope your October goes well, and you don’t have to be scared to walk by your hot tub at night anymore. That guy's not getting out there anytime soon.







No comments:
Post a Comment