Friday, September 8, 2023

Sounds like a Broken Record

Sometimes I get too excited when I find something cool at a thrift store. I forget to do a detailed inspection.

That's what happened with this 2 LP set Gold & Platinum by the Lynyrd Skynyrd Band. The album was just sitting there waiting for me in the front of a box full of records. I couldn't believe my luck. The sleeve was in such nice shape. I pulled each LP halfway out and then slid them back in confidence that they were also in great condition.


I realized that I had made a rookie mistake when I got home and pulled out LP #1 to clean it... this guy had been dropped on his edge.


Dang it! Why didn't I see that?! 

My heart sank and my temper rose. My instinct was to take Gold & Platinum to the garage and break it more by throwing it into the recycling bin. I shoved the record back into the sleeve and turned for the stairs. 

Then I slowed down and considered the situation. What was the big deal? I had only paid $1.50 for this. That wouldn't even get me a pop at a rest stop. Time to reevaluate.

The second LP was just fine. That's eight songs right there. So what if I couldn't play the first track on either side of the damaged record? That still leaves me with six more songs. 

I looked at the damage more closely and realized that the bite was only taken out of the beaded rim. There was still enough lead-in groove to play the LP before the music kicked in. 

I have to be careful, but I've played this record several times without a problem.  

Okay, I feel better now. 

I'm glad I didn't let my anger get the better of me. The LPs cleaned up nicely, and they sound great... especially the damaged LP. It is silent between the tracks. I suppose that makes sense. Most broken records don't get played that often. 

Looking back, I'm sure the damage was why Gold & Platinum was sitting in the front of the record box. I bet several people more thorough than me picked up the album and then put it right back down. These records would have eventually died in the dumpster out back. 

I was the only one dumb enough to take them home and actually play them.

I guess they were waiting for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment