Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Thrift Store Show and Tell: Catch and Release Edition

Per Char's request, we stopped by Goodwill last Saturday. Although I had zero expectations, I checked the record bins out of habit. I was surprised to find music that wasn't religious, country and western, or Ray Conniff. I picked up nine LPs for 89 cents each. They aren't all winners, but finding a "modern" LP in decent shape in a thrift store is now a rarity. 

This Van Halen record is listed in Esquire's "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." Extra points for Fair Warning being in the David Lee Roth era. (1981)


I'd prefer Men at Work's Business As Usual, but Cargo has "Overkill"on it, so that's cool. (1983)


The artwork on The Power Station's 33 1/3 just screams 1980s. This super group had Andy Taylor and John Taylor of Duran Duran, Tony Thompson of Chic, and Robert Palmer on vocals. (1985)


I didn't appreciate how beautiful Annie Lennox is when I was a kid. I think her short haircut threw me off.  Be Yourself Tonight (1985)


This Maxi-Single with "Sweet Dreams" on it is from France. How did it get to an Iowa thrift store? (1983)


I didn't enjoy The Fixx's Shuttered Room as much as their second record, Reach the Beach. Weird thing is that this is an European release, too. Who donated these records, anyway? (1982)


I wouldn't have bought the Thompson Twins' Here's to Future Days, back in the day. Now I find it interesting. I guess the title is prophetic. "Don't Mess with Doctor Dream" has fun stereo effects. (1985)


I picked up a used copy of Shabooh Shoobah when I was in college. I bought this LP in case it was in better shape than my other one. It isn't. (1982)



Joni Mitchell's Blue came out in 1971, and this is the first issued release. Joni's folk music doesn't really fit in with the other rock and pop records, so I think some kid growing up in the 80s raided their parents' LP collection. 


Not a bad haul for $8.01. The records cleaned up well, and they sound good. But I don't need to keep them all. Fair Warning rocks and Blue is collectible, so they're staying. I'm on the fence about Men at Work and the Thompson Twins. The rest will be catch and release. 

There are times when finding something you want is actually more fun than owning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment