Friday, January 10, 2020

A Surprise Vacation for Charlotte: Final Thoughts

Would I want to go back to Universal for another vacation? Well, I really enjoyed experiencing Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade with my family. We can't go anywhere else and experience these same Wizarding Worlds. If these areas continue to expand, then yes, when Char is older, I can see going back with the girls.

As for the rest of Universal... nah. I'm good. Once was enough. I'd feel the same way about Disney. Theme parks are fun for awhile, but they are limited. They can only offer manufactured experiences, calculated surprises, and actors with scripts. 

There are so many real places in this world I still want to see.

I don't need another vacation with 20,000 of my closest friends. It's like Barbara Pym's quote on the top of my blog, "The small things of life were often so much bigger than the great things..."

For example, we spotted this alley when we were visiting Kingston, Ontario.


We discovered a small pub that was serving breakfast at the end of that passage. Daphne and I both ordered Breakfast #1. It came with eggs, toast, beans, and bangers. We were surprised by the beans and bangers, but they were very good.

That meal was very similar to what we ate at the Three Broomsticks in Orlando. But in the Kingston pub there were no queues, no costumes, and no cast members. Instead of a soundtrack, we could hear a Blue Jays game playing in the background. Our waitress had time to talk to us, and I felt like I was giving a tip to a person, not a corporation. 

When we left Universal's Three Broomsticks, I asked Daphne, "Okay, which breakfast would make you smile more when you remember it, the one here or the one in Kingston?" 

"Oh, Kingston for sure. That was so fun!" She beamed at the memory.

I agreed. 

And guess what? We didn't even need an Express Pass to get into that pub. 

No comments:

Post a Comment