Saturday, January 19, 2019

Redressed

From November '17:

"Back in the early 90's, I found eight Pink Floyd albums on vinyl at the DAV. UmmagummaMeddleA Nice Pair, Atomic Heart Mother, Relics, Wish You Were HereAnimals, and The Wall were all for sale for a quarter each. The problem was that there was no artwork. The records were only in clear, plastic sleeves...

...Because of my renewed interest in playing and collecting records, I've decided to find the correct covers and sleeves for the Pink Floyd albums. That isn't anything I have to do, but it will be fun. To save money, my strategy is to find decent LP covers with junky records inside them. I'll toss the poor record and replace it with the nicer one from DAV."

Today:

With the help of eBay, Discogs, and Dan from ZZZ Records and Sump Pump RecordsI have completed Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall.

I just found out that the Melivins re-released their album Houdini through Third Man Records in 2016, and one limited version used vintage record covers from the 60s. They simply screen printed "Melvins" and "Houdini" over the original artwork. 


I thought that was so creative.

I went to the Salvation Army to find a vintage cover to use for UmmagummaA Nice Pair, Atomic Heart Mother, or Relics.


I bought Bill and Dick's self-titled album. I though the cover image of the two men would be a fun match for A Nice Pair. I later realized that A Nice Pair is a double album, and the two LPs won't fit in the sleeve. Bummer.

I then decided the cover's image might make an ironic contrast for the title, Atom Heart Mother. Using a laser printer and packing tape, I made stickers to re-brand the cover.


I added another sticker to the back cover and used a black marker to edit the text.



The original artwork for Atom Heart Mother is a cow's backside.


I'm starting to like my cover better.

No comments:

Post a Comment