Friday, June 14, 2013

Seeing the (Brake) Light

After Charlotte goes to bed, I can't always work on my Bug. A lot of the time I'm waiting for car parts to come up for sale, or I'm waiting for car parts to arrive in the mail. During these lulls in automotive repair, I turn my attention to the other projects lurking in my garage. For instance, I have a few bicycles that I like to work on.

Two years ago I spotted this abandoned Schwinn bicycle leaning against a dumpster while we were driving home from the Christmas service at our church . After we got Char to bed, I drove back and snagged it. I considered it an Xmas present from the junk gods. (Notice the seat - I'll talk about it later.)


 I have fun working on my "free" bike, and I have cleaned and polished every nook and cranny on it. "Cranny" is a weird word. Do you ever use it on its own?

"Hey, where did I put that wrench?"
"I think you left it in your cranny."
"I left it in my what?"


Since the above photo was taken, I've also replaced the brake and shifter cables, and I switched over to a 105 Shimano brake set I scored off of Ebay. Soon I plan to redo the bar tape (again) and upgrade the brake levers.

Yesterday I took Charlotte grocery shopping, and afterwards she really wanted to go to the "money store" - which is what she calls "Dollar Tree". As I've said before, I always agree to shopping at the money store because all toys for toddlers are doomed to be broken, so why not buy toys with a death sentence for a dollar instead of fifty dollars? Also, I like to challenge myself to see I can find something that I can use in a creative way.

I found this:


This bracelet has three light modes, and that's exactly the same amount of modes on expensive back bike lights. Turns out the bracelet fits perfectly behind my bike's seat. The rubber wrist band that connects to the plastic light works really well at keeping the light snug against the frame without damaging the paint.


With the help of Dollar General Super Glue, I cemented the rubber wrist band inside the plasic light. Now the bracelet won't pop off the bike when I drive over bumps.


Sure, the glue means the bracelet is permanently on my bike, but when the batteries wear out, I can easily cut the band off.

So, how does it look?

 
All I need is some rave music, and I'm all set.
 
Doot, doot, doot, doot...

No comments:

Post a Comment